Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fire in the Hole!!! (or my visit to Volcanoes National Park)


I finally had the chance to get down south and visit Madame Pele once more today.  It was very much a complete circle for me.  I remember when we first arrived on the Big Island back in 2005 and visited the volcano.  Today I got to revisit many of my favorite sites in the park and give blessings and offerings and well wishes to Pele.
First I stopped off at South Point, where they have a collection of HUGE wind generators.  It is an amazing site.

Then I made it to the one of the craters.  This one is called Halema'uma'u and you can see the plume of volcanic smoke coming up from the crater.


Off through the forest and into the Thurston Lava Tube.  So cold and damp....I was the only one in there!




Finally it was down Chain of Craters Road to the sea cliffs (right after the top picture was taken a HUGE wave crashed into the side and exploded.  I could feel the sea water spraying through the air.  After about a 15 minute walk I was where the lava from an older flow crossed the road.  I love that picture with the Road Closed sign buried in lava.  On the hike back, I asked Pele if I could see an image of her before I left and low and behold, I looked down and was standing right in front of her!  Can you see her face and her long flowing hair?

And finally, a smile from Akua, after I told him we were going to see his friends Honi and Rosie.  Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment